Login Theme Color Topics Posts Members
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:
Password:
462 586 total members: 36
Latest Member: Jacob Croy

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling in Ireland  (Read 6928 times)
Larry
Celtic Newbie

« on: January 31, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »

Any of you traveled in Ireland? If not here's some [uninteresting]  Cheesy info for ya. When driving the motorways (similar to our interstates) you'll find they drive as nutty as we do! So, if you want to see the country side slow down and take the back roads. Always, in my opinion, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfast) and try to make friends with the owners. We had great luck with this approach and they would always show us the routes to take to a particular destination so we'd see more of the "real" Ireland and not have to fight traffic on the motorway.

We got lucky at one B&B in Tullamore as the owners seem to take a liking to us and so took us to a 5 star restaurant and pub (pub was the dungeon in years gone by) with live local Irish music. The place is called Kinnitty Castle and is just outside the town of Birr. https://www.kinnittycastlehotel.com/ If you ever go there be sure to visit the Sunrise Inn (downtown Birr), it's the pub where most locals eat and is well worth finding. (You can check it out at http://www.visitbirr.ie/listings/the-sunrise-inn/ Going back to our visit to Kinnitty Castle; after checking prices I'm sure our landlords lost at least two nights worth of rent as that's not a cheap place to eat at, etc. I still get emails from them and look forward to a return visit, not for another trip to the restaurant but for the friends we made and fun we had. You'll find most B&B's are owned by friendly people willing to help you with your travels, maybe not to the extent of this experience we had but still willing to help. I've traveled much of the world working for the USOC and can say the Irish people are some of the friendlies I've come across. good

The above may not be of great interest to anyone but hey, gives ya something to read.  derisive
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:01:16 AM by Don » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: