Login Theme Color Topics Posts Members
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:
Password:
462 586 total members: 36
Latest Member: Jacob Croy

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman returns with new members, classic tunes  (Read 1125 times)
Don
Administrator
Celtic Sr. Member

« on: February 16, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »

The Irish music group Celtic Woman with, from left, Máiréad Nesbitt, Lisa Lambe, Chloë Agnew and former member Lisa Kelly (Susan McFadden not pictured), performs tonight at the O'Dome. (COURTESY OF CELTIC WOMAN)

When Lisa Lambe joined Celtic Woman, the monstrously popular all-female Irish singing group, she was confronted with a question that has plagued musicians from Ringo Starr to Sammy Hagar: How do you replace a member of a group that is deeply beloved by its fans?

Luckily for Lambe, who replaced Lynn Hilary in 2011, the transition was fairly smooth.

The crowds have been incredibly warm and supportive,” she says. “I'm sure they miss Lynn, but they have gotten behind me and really made me feel welcome.”

Lambe quickly made her presence felt, and as Celtic Woman prepares to tour behind their new album, “Believe,” she has become a crowd favorite. The tour, which is featuring a mix of classic Irish tunes, pop hits and such well-known songs as “You'll Never Walk Alone,” “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and “Teir Abhaile Riu,” stops in Gainesville tonight at the O'Connell Center. “It's great because I can have my own songs and bring something new to the group,” Lambe says. “So far, people have responded very positively.”

Celtic Woman began seven years ago on public television and has since gone on to sell more than 6 million albums. The group is touring on its most recent album, 2011's “Believe.” The addition of newest member Susan McFadden — who replaced former member Lisa Kelly, who is expecting her fourth child — means that Lambe is no longer the rookie in the group.

Lambe came to the group as one of the most sought- after theater actors in Europe. She feels that her work in theater has helped her perform better with Celtic Woman, which also features vocalist Chloë Agnew and fidder Máiréad Nesbitt.

“Coming from a theater background, I'm very comfortable with performing,” she says. “This is similar in that I can get behind the lyrics of a song and feel what the song is about. The only difference is that it's me on stage. I'm not playing a character.”

And, although the rigorous schedule of Celtic Woman doesn't leave her enough time to take on any theater roles, Lambe says that she doesn't consider her work in that arena done.

“I don't separate the two,” she says. “For me, it's all part of being a performer. There are many different facets of performing, and you have to keep all of those muscles strong. This is just a chance for me to work out a different part of myself as a performer. I'm sure I'll act in the theater again, but for now, I am very happy doing this.”

Lambe says one of her favorite parts of being in Celtic Woman is the camaraderie. She says that the other performers were very warm to her and that they became friends quickly.

“It is an amazing thing to be able to join something that is so popular, and that so many people have already put such hard work into for seven years,” she says. “It was maybe a little daunting at first, but the girls welcomed me with open arms. They were really wonderful about it.”

But, for Lambe and the rest of Celtic Woman, it all comes back to pleasing the fans.

“We try very hard to produce something that people will enjoy,” she says. “When you get a standing ovation, or when the fans support you by watching the videos online or checking out your bio and getting to know you, it makes it all worthwhile.

“That's the best part.”

By Travis Atria
Correspondent
The Gainesville Sun
Gainesville, FL
Thursday, February 16, 2012
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:04:55 AM by Don » Logged

Always Remember All Things Are Possible With God !!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: