Login Theme Color Topics Posts Members
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Username:
Password:
462 586 total members: 36
Latest Member: Jacob Croy

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Woman To Perform In The E Center of West Valley, Salt Lake City ,UT.  (Read 1123 times)
Don
Administrator
Celtic Sr. Member

« on: May 08, 2009, 03:41:57 AM »

Celtic Woman, lounge photo: Left to right: Lisa Kelly, Lynn Hilary and Máiréad Nesbitt  standing from left to right Chloë Agnew and Alex Sharpe,...

Chloe Agnew is the youngest singer in the quartet Celtic Woman. At 15 she joined the group, and now nearly five years later, she is still a month away from her 20th birthday.

"When I first joined the group, I was a little nervous," said Agnew during a phone call from Fresno, Calif. "When I got word that I was going to join a group of singers who are all older and more experienced than I, there was a time when I got a little apprehensive."

It took no time, however, for the women – Agnew, Lynn Hilary, Lisa Kelly, Alex Sharpe and violinist Mairead Nesbitt — to bond.

"I didn't know if they would like a little girl running around with them, but we were actually kind of thrown into the production together and immediately clicked. We all held on to each other and worked as a team to make sure the group was a success."

Agnew considers the others as older sisters, mentors and aunts.

"It's all been so incredible," she said, with a laugh. "The press has always been trying to find that bit of sensational in-group fighting, but I can honestly say, with my hand on my heart, that we haven't had any fights or disturbances that have come between us."

Agnew began singing at an early age. Her father was a classical oboist and her mother was involved in musical theater.

"I got both sides, the classical and the pop," Agnew said. "I was always singing and did my first performance in choirs."

When she was 11, after the 9/11 attacks, she and a friend made a CD to benefit victims of the tragedy.

"We raised about $40,000 for them," she said. "And the producer referred me to Celtic Woman."

Her parents' knowledge about show business was a factor in allowing Agnew to join Celtic Woman.

"There is a strong amount of trust," Agnew said. "And when I joined, I was more mature than a lot of girls my age. So it made the decision for my parents easy."

Another aspect was the fact that Agnew did not want to drop out of high school.

"I would study during the day and perform during the night," she said. "It was demanding, but I did graduate earlier this year. And I'm currently studying college courses in psychology."

Agnew said this year's "Isle of Hope" production expands on what most people have seen on the "New Journey" DVD.

"I think it will surprise people at how much is going on," she said. "The costumes, the sets and the music, of course, is such an experience for them. And on this tour, we've kicked it up a notch."

One night in particular, the group played for a full house, and near the front row was an elementary-school-age girl who was so excited to be at the concert.

"She was jumping up and down and cheering," Agnew said. "Her parents were with her and were also enjoying the show, but I think they were enjoying their daughter's reaction more.

"What I'm trying to say is that it's times like those where all the hard work touring and rehearsing pays off. Even if we weren't playing a sold-out show, and if the only person in the audience was that little girl, it would have been worth it."

By Scott Iwasaki
Deseret News
Salt Lake City, UT
Published: Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:51 p.m. MDT
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:20:32 PM by Don » Logged

Always Remember All Things Are Possible With God !!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: